On Monday I tried out my first Augmented Reality game. The objective of the game was for my students to learn a little information about the three major fur bearing animals of the Pacific Northwest. The purpose of this game was two fold. The first was that I wanted them to test the technology to see if they could interact with it. The second was an introduction into our next unit on the fur trading era of the Pacific Northwest.
The only directions I gave them were on the purpose and organization of the game. They were told that they were to discover three animals on the back football field. At each location on the map they would find a description of an animal and an audio recording of the sound that animal makes. It was their task to discover the name of that animal and convert that name into a code to unlock the next location on the map. The hint for the code was A=1. Students then went outside, opened the software, and began navigating the game, once they obtained a satellite signal.
Students seemed to have no trouble using the software to navigate through their game. They were highly engaged and had to be persuaded to come into the building, when it began to rain. Students were very motivated, almost driven, to get to the end of the game. This was very interesting to me, since some of these students are not often motivated in class. While I assume that some of the motivation was in the novelty of the situation, the game atmosphere did seem to motivate many of the students. All students were able to eventually navigate the course and complete the game. As students entered the classroom after completing the game, there was a lot of discussion about the three fur bearing animals and how they came to their conclusion for each animal. The discussion in class went extremely well. They really enjoyed talking about the games and the information that they discovered about each animal. Every student I felt achieved the learning target for the day, and they truly seemed excited about the possibility of doing this type of exercise again. All in all I would have to say my first game, while not overly complex, was a complete success.
Filed under: Augmented Reality in Schools | Tagged: augmented, Augmented reality, AugmentedReality, class collaboration, classroom games, classroom ideas, classroom projects, collaboration, education, education games, Educational Technology, Fur trade, Games, Information, iOS, IPhone, Layar, Learning, lesson plans, Motivation, Pacific Northwest, project based, Research, student engagement, student games, successful teaching, Super Bowl, Teacher, technology, technology in classroom |